
The Tolmans and Sister Colman (in red) making a
wonderful breakfast for all of the missionaries!

Sister Jacobson and I at the Christmas Breakfast
at the Tolmans! Yummy!

The Christmas Party Decorations. There isn't a
lot you can do with no money and an unfinished
basement! But it looked nice and we had fun!

Doug rolling dice on our mission. It was a really
fun game! If we ever learn it, we will tell you how
to play it!

The Christmas Eve Party at the Jacobson's home.
We had a really good time and laughed a lot!

Helen's caramels! We got them at 9:30 pm on
Christmas Eve... no kidding! I haven't stopped
eating them yet. Helen you are killing the diet!

Andrea's girls sent grandma stamps! What
do you suppose that means? I guess they
like grandma's letters! She likes writing them, to!

Doug got note pads to write "lists" on. He
loves making lists. I guess that is why he
gets so much done!

Most presents came from "far away"! We
saved them all until Christmas!

How much fun to open presents! We loved the
notes and cards, too!

Opening Andrea's "A Memmory a Day
Keeps Homesickness Away" gift. What a
lot of work it was. What a fun idea, too! Each
day you get to take out one memmory to read!

Andrea wrote us a really sweet letter to
go with her "Memmories" notes.

I don't know if you can see or not, but we
are both crying our eyes out! Andrea knows
how to get us going!

The total of the Christmas wrapping mess! Not
too bad! Easy to clean up!

All our Christmas Gifts! They were great! This was
such a nice low key Christmas, we might do it all the
time!

After deciding just what type of Duct Tape hat we
wanted, we got started.We taped duct tape to itself
(so we didn't have a sticky side to it) and then
started to cut out pieces.

We put all the sections together, and then started the
real process of fitting it to Doug's head!

Fitting all the pieces just so.... At this point we are
still hoping it will work!

Putting on the last piece... the "string ties".

"Flaps" down! Nice and warm for the New York
winter!

Doug's "Elmer Fudd Hat". Yes, everything except the
cotton on the earflaps is duct tape!

The tables kind of look like they had exploded! I was
going for the "wild party" look. How can you go wrong
when you use candy as your main ingredient!?!?

The decorations were simple but fun. Everyone seemed
to like the fact that there was nothing "Christmas" about them!

Here are the hats from the New Year competition.
They were all so funny!
I guess that Christmas is the big news since the last time I updated our blog page. It started early Christmas Eve Morning at Elder and Sister Tolman’s apartment for breakfast. They always make breakfast that day for their family, and since their family isn’t here and we are, we became their family. It was yummy and a fun way to start the day! Then we went to do our mission assignment at the HCVC. At two o’clock when we got off duty, we went to the basement of the HCVC and decorated for a Christmas Dinner that we were having the next day. Considering that it is an unfinished basement, full of boxes, costumes for pagent, and other “junk”, I think that we did an ok job. It was fun to work together to get it looking nice.
Christmas Eve we went to Elder and Sister Jacobson’s home for a party. We played some fun games and ate too much food. We played “Catch Phrase” for a while and laughed a lot… then they taught us a new dice game that was pretty fun. (I know, I didn’t think that I would be “rolling dice” on my mission either…) It was as close to gambling as a missionary could get, because you would build up points and then have to risk the points on another roll or the dice or quit while you were ahead. Once we get it figured out better we will have to send out the rules… it was fun.
Christmas Eve at 9:30 PM we finally got a box of caramels that Helen had sent 2 weeks ago. I was afraid that the mailman had run off with them. (If he had known how good they were, he would have!) We are enjoying them, but I am going to put on even more weight… I can’t leave them alone. Thanks Helen!
We got up bright and early Christmas morning to get to Church for Choir Practice. We had a nice meeting and Christmas program. I sang a solo, sang in a quartet with Doug, sang with the Choir, and ended up leading the music, too. I felt a little conspicuous! It was very nice however, and it started Christmas off on the right foot.
We came home and opened presents. It was really fun. We got some nice things and were so tickled that so many remembered us. I have to say that Andrea was quite creative sending us a “disposable” Christmas. She sent us the ingredients for cookies, paper for writing letters and “to do lists” (Doug’s favorite thing in the world) and then made us “A Memory A Day Keeps Homesickness Away”. This is a paper container that has memories that Andrea has of her life and her family, etc. She wrote us a nice letter with it that made us cry like babies and then the very first memory we pulled out made us laugh so hard we couldn’t breath. Now at Breakfast every morning, we have a new ritual… pull a memory out of the bag… It is a blast.
That afternoon we had a nice Christmas Dinner and program with the missionaries. Doug and I sang in a Sextet for the program. I had someone take a picture of us, because Doug has never sung with me in a small group (and it might be the last). Unfortunately, they moved the camera and it is so blurry that you can’t tell it is Doug…
I am in charge of the New Year’s Dinner and party on Saturday evening. I think I have everything figured out, but we won’t know until after the party! One of the activities is that each couple has to make a hat out of things that they have in their apartment… they couldn’t buy anything. Doug had a great idea. We made a hat out of duct tape! Not just any hat! It is an Elmer Fudd had with ear flaps! (Just like the one he has at home. Really! He has an Elmer Fudd hat!) It is pretty darn good if I say so myself. He is very clever! I’ll bet it is the only one there!!! I’ll have to keep you posted on if we win a prize or not!
Between the many pictures and the letter, this has been going on long enough. I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and that you have a happy and safe New Year! We love you all! Until next week…. All our love, dnd Continued….
January 1, 2006 Because we were so busy with everything this last week we were unable to post a blog until now… so you will get a really long blog with Christmas and New Years information!
The New Years Party was a great success. I am very grateful that it doesn’t take much to impress missionaries. We are pretty happy with anything. We had a nice dinner (Taco Salad), played games and rang in the New Year with enthusiasm (Promptly at 10:00 PM). I had some little “popper” things (that shot out confetti streamer stuff) for everyone to shoot off at “midnight”. I think they were a hit! All the Missionaries were running around to find some of the extra ones so they could explode them, too. It was fun. The games were fun and even the people that don’t like to play games, stayed and played until the party was over.
The funniest part of the night was definitely the hat contest. Everyone really came through! We had hats from simple to extravaganzas! Everyone loved Doug’s duct tape hat (it was really funny!) but some of the others were hilarious, too! One woman crocheted grocery bags together to make their hat. It even had stripes in it from different color bags! We had a “Yellow rose of Texas” hat, 12 days of Christmas hat, a angels in the firmament hat, and many more. The picture of all of the hats doesn’t show just how great they were, but hopefully you can get an idea!
On December 28th we got to see the new “Joseph Smith, Prophet of the Restoration” movie here at the Hill Cumorah theater. It was one of the most touching movies that I have ever seen I don’t think that it is just because I am here on a mission either. Everyone that comes to see it is touched. (We are going to have to stock up on extra Kleenex in order to keep showing it!) When the movie is over you can’t believe the spirit that is in the room. I hope that you all get the opportunity to see it soon. It is a testimony strengthening experience! (Maybe you will all have to come here to see it!?!?!?!) That would be wonderful!
OK… this time it is really the end! What a long letter. I will try not to go two weeks before publishing it again. Thank you all for the wonderful Christmas! We hope you all have a wonderful 2006! We love you and think of you often. Keep in touch! dnd
P.S. Be sure to leave comments!
7 comments:
Well it looks like you had as great a Christmas and New Years as we did. I'm glad you finally
Whoops, sorry, don't know what happened, my computer hiccupped or something....ANYWAY, I'm glad you finally got the caramels. They are very fattening, but worth it. I loved Doug's hat. I hope when I get the "real" pictures I can crop it in and see the rest of the hats better. I think you did a great job on decorations. Everything looked very festive. I'm surprised Doug did "roll" dice on your mission - because of his idea of what should be done while on a mission, hahahaha, but it looked like he was enjoying himself.
I think Andreas gift was a great idea. And it's really hard to think up that many memories - at least all at one time. I think I might start writing some of mine down (in preparation of giving them to my girls as gifts when I run out of money---won't be too long now, hahahaha). But the thoughts and feelings that come with a gift like that is the best.
I'm glad you mentioned the new movie - Aren't they starting to play it at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building? - how would you know - Guess I better call them, I really want to see it. Well, I love and miss you. Glad you got the blog done - it wasn't too long for me. I love reading and "seeing" everything you are doing. Be good. Love, xoxoxoxoxoxox
This is Jeff, I'm just writing to say that after seeing you all in your hats, I am confident the church is true, and the seniors are just as qualified to represent the lord as the junior missionaries. It's beginning to look like a real mission. everyone is finding fun in their own little way. Keep up all the good work, and know that we miss, and love you very much.
Dear Missionaries: Loved the pics and letter - even though I have to read it in sections. I told you one of our favorite surprises this season was a visit from Jeff and Laura. Thanks for the gift (I won't mention it because you could get kicked out of the missionfield) but it is a wonderful book mark. I don't know if I can brag about it yet. I have been released from Primary and now await a new calling or no calling- either way I will be happy. We had a very upsetting time the day after Christmas. Nick was sent to the University of Utah "Unit" (you know Delores) for depression and attempted suicide. Nobody knows the second part but he came home today. I hope he is better now but what a mess. Poor Julie. Our family is always in some kinda hot water it seems. Kay also had the flu and was really sick. We are all doing well now, except I have sciatica and can barely sit and type. Helen too but I like to be sicker than her (after all, as she always tells everyone.....I am 7-years older!!!) Anyway, Nick is home as of last night and they have him under control I hope. New meds. The rest are better - Leslie is doing great (what a change) and I am ready for the loony bin as usual!!! hahaha. Love you guys and pray for you everynight. Keep the letters coming and we will try to respond. Love you all sooooooo much.........Kay and lulu
I could've sworn I left a comment on here, but I guess I was dreaming.... so I loved the blog! Especially the hats. That was a pretty fancy duct tape hat. I was picturing something resembling a mummy, not a quilted elmer fud ear flap concoction! Pretty ingenius. The kids miss you, and we talk about you all the time. Glad you are having fun. Love Andrea xxoxo
Love the updates. This blog thing is the greatest way to stay abreast of eachother's lives. Hey, maybe I'll tell my parents about your web site and Dad could announce it in church so the old ward could check up on you, if you'd like, of course. I'll have to get your approval. Thanks for including me. I'm sure you two light up the city. I would have loved to hear your singing, Delores. If I die before you will you sing at my funeral?
Love you,
Shay
I enjoy your letters and blogs. I am looking forward to coming this summer. I know it will be a special trip. have a great week. keep up the good work. love you, emily
Post a Comment