Monday, March 13, 2006

One fine Spring Day...


Rolls of material and trim in the basement of
the HCVC.


This is the building where they keep the pageant
costumes. It is right behind the HCVC and we see
it from our kitchen. Now we know what is in it!


There are pictures of the main charactors on
the walls so that you can tell how to put all the peices
together to make them look right!


There are rooms of Lamanite costumes! Everything
is covered so that dust wont get on them! You can tell
that they are very colorful but the bottom of the few
you can see.


These are some pretty cool helmets! How
would you like to have to wear them around
all night!!


Wigs, wigs and more wigs! Sandals in the boxes and
the bottom two shelves. (More elsewhere!)


Every wig has a name of a member of the cast, and
who that person is playing. You can read "Lehi's
gaurds" on the shelf. There are blond wigs for the
Nephites and dark ones for the Lamanites!


Doug sitting in a "beauty shop" chair. Around him are
wigs, necklaces, costumes, beards, makeup, etc... You
can't believe all the stuff!


Making Doug hold up one of the head dresses so you
can see it better. It is really beautiful. You can't believe
all the stuff that is in that building! I keep saying that,
but you can't believe it!!!


The sign points you to the road up to the Moroni
Monument (sorry it is blurry). Our garage is just
off this picture to the right. You can see the shadow
of the building.


Walking up the road that goes up Hill Cumorah. It
is really a pretty hill. The trees weren't on it origionally.
The members planted 65,000 trees on the hill in about
1929.

Look at that Blue Sky!!! What a beautiful day!
Looking up at the statue from about half way down
the hill.


This shows just how steep Hill Cumorah
is. I don't know how they stand up on it
during pageant.


I loved this picture of the Moroni Statue... If the
trees had green leaves and the grass had been a green
color, it would look like it should be in a book.


Looking from the top of Hill Cumorah to the Southwest.
The steep hill is where the Pageant is performed. Don't
ask me how they stand up! It is realy steep! (I am the
little person on the blacktop trail!)


From the top of the Hill Cumorah looking Northwest.
Everywhere they don't farm, is trees. It isn't like
Utah and the desert!


On Sunday, coming home from church we had to stop
at one of the Erie Canal bridges to get a picture of the
fog that had settled on the water. It was really pretty.
The pictures don't do it justice!















This is the fog on the Erie Canal. You can just see
some of the roofs of the low lying houses. The rest
of the world is a gray day, but there is no fog except
on the canal! Wierd!

Hello everyone. Doug and I have tried to think of what we have done this week, and it has somehow all blended together and we can’t come up with much. We have been busy, come home tired and ready for bed, but nothing really "stunning" has occurred. The only pictures we took this week were of our Saturday P-day. It was the first really true "day off" we’ve had and we took advantage of it.

We haven’t done much exploring (in some of the buildings) since we got here. We decided that "today was the day" and off we went exploring. Because Doug is over Hill Cumorah, he has a "key to the kingdom" so to speak. (which makes getting into places that most people can’t get into a lot easier!) When we first got here, all the head FM people (that really run the place) told us to go look around at everything, but we didn’t have time and then it was too cold. They told us that there were some pretty neat pageant costumes and stuff stored in some of the buildings, and we should go see them. We figured that they didn’t put a time limit on looking around, so we did!

In one side of the basement of the Visitor’s center there is a costume sewing area. There are containers of all kinds of trims, fur, etc. There are also bolts of fabric of every kind that they make costumes out of each year. (One third of the costumes are re-made each year… just to keep them looking beautiful and new.) In a few weeks the pageant people will come and then the basement is really humming with activity! You just try to stay out of their way so you don’t get sewn into something!

In the basement there is also some cardboard display things that they are going to throw out (because they have replaced them). (Too bad I can’t get it to a Primary President somewhere… it is great!) We took a picture of Doug with some of his display friends. He is just hanging out with some of Heleman's Warriors. Again, we thought we were really funny! Then back outside for more exploring.

We went into the costume building and it was unbelievable. There were rooms of costumes, wigs, jewelry, belts, sandals… you name it, it was there! It was a pretty neat place. I am sure that we will be some of the few that have pictures of that building! I made Doug hold up a Lamanite headpiece so I could take a picture… He hopes that we don’t get sent home over it! (Me too!) You just can’t believe all the stuff. I can’t wait to see the pageant so I can see how all that stuff is used! On to our exploring…

It was a beautiful day. Warm(er), sunshine, no wind!!! So we took advantage of it and went for a walk. Everyone says that we have had a mild winter, that Spring shouldn’t be here until about May, but Saturday it was definitely a Spring day! Yahoo! We had fun looking out from the hill and taking pictures (about 90 – don’t you just love digital photos…). We were totally happy being out in the sunshine and the New York sky was a beautiful blue (something we haven’t seen since the first week got here). It was a wonderful day of just being "tourists" and seeing what it is like to come here for a visit.

It was a good thing that we enjoyed the sun, because the next day there was rain. The Erie Canal was thawing and there was a fog all down the canal. It was really pretty. Some of the houses that are at water level along the canal were almost completely covered with fog. I tell you… you just can’t depend on the New York weather to stay the same. If you wait 5 minutes it will most likely change. (In fact today, Monday, it has been raining hard all day and it is so dark that you have to have your lights on in the house in order to see.) I guess that makes the sunny days all the more special!

I guess that is it. Honest, we really do missionary work! This stuff was just more interesting for the blog! Doug will have to keep you posted on our "real mission"!
We love you all. Leave comments! dnd

6 comments:

Helen said...

Hi! Cool pictures this week. I think you might want to go in under dashboard, look at your blog and One fine spring day will be in there twice. Delete the second one and you will lose the second one that shows on your blog. (The reason I know is because I published one twice once and was afraid if I deleted one that had the same title, it would delete both, but it doesn't. Anyway, I'm so happy to see the pictures for the pageant. What a cool building. It would be fun to just wander around there and have a look at everything. I can't image the production behind the scenes when the pageant is going on. What a lot of work! You will be lucky if you get to see it all in one piece with all the work they will be having you do.

I haven't done a blog this week because Justin went out of town to the "Nascar" races in Las Vegas and he borrowed my camera. Ethan is doing much better though, he got out of his "light box" on Friday and his bilirubin is still dropping. He's SO cute. Emily's blood pressure is still pretty high, so they put her on pills today for 6 weeks to see if they can bring it down. But she's feeling better just not having to put him in that box all the time. It made her so nervous seeing him just in his diaper laying in the thing all the time.

LaRay and I were going to the movie on Friday and on her way out she slipped on the ice on her front stairs (Ryan was just on the way out to put deicer on them - but she got out there first and fell). She nearly killed herself. We got in the car and started to the movie and she was groaning. There was a huge hematoma on her leg that was growing by the minute. I tried to get her to let me take her to the doctor, but of course, stubborn girl she wouldn't. She's one big bruise now, but I don't think anything is broken.

I'm fine, my sciatica is really bad still, and my blood sugar really high even though I've been losing weight. I go to the doctor tomorrow, so I'll let you know what he says.

Hang in there guys, we know you are working hard. Thanks for the great pictures. I love to seem them. Love, xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

Anonymous said...

Dear Doug and Delores: I already thought Doug was one of the members of the army of Helaman!! he looks good!! I bet you were just itchin to sew something. You guys will be a real asset when the time comes to do the pagent. I wish we could be there - maybe we will if things work out. Kay is involved in building 4 new Sizzlers so it will be a hectic time for him. I fell down all five stairs on my front porch on Friday. I am barely alive and look like I have Eggplants growing on several parts of my body. I managed to live but have my body so bruised and tweeked I don't know If I will be well for a while. I biffed it so bad and all the kids (and Kay) are still laughing. I am the only one not! I am sure glad I didn't break anything but my pride and confidence. The stairs were solid ice and I didn't see it coming. Glad I saved my head though cause it is almost dead already. Well, I gotta get busy- have a great week and thanks for the pics. Helen wants to send you a picture of my butt but I told her Doug has already had that experience and didn't like it much. !!! hehehe...Gotta run - love you both LaRay

Music Mama said...

Nice blog. The pageant costumes look like fun. Maybe when we visit you can turn Olivia and Victoria loose in there. Dress-up heaven! Poor LaRay, that sounds painful. I'm off to eat some popcorn before bed. I'd leave a better comment, but I'm half asleep. Brain dead today. Love ya, Andrea xoxox

Anonymous said...

3/17/06; Hi dnd. As always, it was nice to go through D's blog and also to read D's letter. Thanks for doing both. I enjoy keeping up on your activities - all types of them. We love you and pray for you. Our best to you all. steve p & family.

Anonymous said...

Blair here. Isn't it fun to rummage through someone else's basement and see all their stuff? Next time look harder. Maybe those gold plates are around there somewhere, or an old sword, or breastplate, or Urim and Thumim. You guys need to go back again and do a thorough search. Love your blogs and letters. I'll write again soon. All is welll here. Chile was FANTASTIC!!

Anonymous said...

Aunt Delores, It is so great to see you up and moving. You look great. We have continued to pray for you and Uncle Elder. We love you dearly. Mom and Dad are looking forward to their trip. We leave for a month in Honduras June 24. We will miss coming to visit you all but look forward to our trip "back home" for Hilton (and the kids). Keep up the great progress and recovery. We love you both dearly and are so very proud of you for your faithful service. Have a great week. Love you, emily