Sunday, November 06, 2005


dnd at Winter Quarters Visitor Center.


Freezing our behinds off at Nauvoo. Go to visit it
in September or October. November is just a bit
nippy!


Dome of the Nauvoo Temple.


Nauvoo Temple... It is so beautiful!


Early morning... Nauvoo Temple.


Nauvoo Temple from afar.... Misty morning.


This is written on the statue (next picture) of the
Smiths as they were taken from Nauvoo to Carthage.
I hope you can read it.... if not, call me and I'll tell
you what it says.


Statues of Joseph and Hyrum accross from the
Nauvoo Temple. It is depicting their "leaving"
Nauvoo for the last time.


Bullet holes... The hole in the center of the door
is thought to have killed Hyrum. The one at the
edge of the door, they don't know... (sorry that this
picture is out of order!)


The front of Carthage Jail.


One view of the bedroom that the brethern were
in when the mob stormed the room and killed the
prophet. He fell out of the window on the left.


After being shot 4 times, Joseph fell from
the second story window onto the ground.


This is a statue of Joseph and Hyrum Smith
with the Carthage Jail behind them.

What an eventful few days! We are still traveling across the U.S. on the way to our mission in New York. We have laughed alot, cried a little (at Nauvoo and Carthage) and are sick of the car. We did take some time out to see some of the church historical sites along the way. There were other things that we would have liked to see, but there just wasn't time. For example... We could have stopped at these places: the Threschers Museum, Maharishi University of Management, Dutch Heritage Museum, Swiss American Museum, John Wayne's birthplace, Antique Tractor and Motor Show, Curt Gowdy Musuem, birthplaces of Wyatt Eryp and Carl Sandberg and World Headquarters for Cabella! I also want you to know that we drove through the Historic Silo and Smokestack district without seeing a Silo or a Smokestack!!!

We did stop at Winter Quarters to see the visitor center and temple there. It was dark so none of our pictures turned out. But it was very touching to go through the center and hear the stories. We found a Mary Hammond who had died there. I'm sure that she was a relative!

Next day, it was off to Nauvoo (as fast as we could go!) We got there early enought to go through a session at the temple, but there was a slight problem... the temple is closed until November 15th for cleaning.... So we toured Nauvoo instead. It was very nice. Again, it made us cry a little, but that was from the cold! (Not really! It was the stories of the people!) Sunday morning we went to Sacrament Meeting with all the Senior Missionaries at Nauvoo. It was a nice meeting. No babies crying, but there were a couple of hearing aids that whistled!!! (I am so funny, I just kill myself.) There were 2 older sisters (siblings) there serving a mission. They were well into their 80's. I thought that Helen and LaRay could be them in a few years! Just kidding!

Sunday afternoon we went to Carthage jail, where Joseph Smith and his brother Hyrum were killed. It was a wonderful visit. I felt the Spirit of them so strong. I had such a strong impression that yes, they had died there, but the work would go on until it has sounded in every ear! It was a lovely Sunday.

Tomorrow we are going to stop at Kirtland, and then it is to the Mission Home! I will tell you about them next time.

Love to you all!! DnD

2 comments:

Music Mama said...

Too bad you didn't get to go through the temple. It is so beautiful! I've been to Nauvoo in August, and that isn't the time of year to visit, either. Too hot! I'm glad you are having a good road trip. You're almost there! Be safe and have fun. Love Andrea xoxo

Anonymous said...

I read them all.
Russell